RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:39:25 +0000

Two issues here.

Firstly, it's obviously better to be a solutions provider, but pointing out
problems is still useful. So it's not "moaning", it's giving feedback. How the
free software movement chooses to respond to that feedback is entirely up to
them, including choosing to ignore or discount it as not-helpful or
not-positive or the like. But the question is often asked, "Why don't more
people use/support/promote/want free software?", and the answer to that
question is going to be negative reasons, not positive solutions. It's a lot
easier to identify faults than invent solutions to them, so don't be surprised
that the number of moans outweighs the number of solutions.

Secondly, the reason (in part) that there are so few solutions is that a lot of
the solutions are actually compromises or middle-ground, and the free software
movement is often notoriously opposed to such notions. A classic example would
be the Debian-vs-Firefox issue, although there are countless others. So
solutions to the general-masses problem include things that Canonical do
already, such as including non-free components within Ubuntu like MP3 codecs,
Flash plugins and closed-source hardware drivers. But some free software
enthusiasts see such things as disgusting and abhorrent, and dream of a
pure-bred operating system which has no compromise within it. So it is
difficult to provide the solutions that are demanded, as the threshold for
acceptance is often beyond the reach of easy implementation.

But since you asked, here are (off the top of my head) a few solutions that I
suspect would dramatically increase the usage of free software ... don't be
surprised if you don't like them...

1) Include a copy of Internet Explorer licensed from Microsoft with some
distributions (this is hugely important for many people). Charge if necessary.
2) Work with Microsoft to make a [premium paid for] version of Office available
on Ubuntu (this is a total show-stopper for many people; my partner used to use
Ubuntu, until his university coursework required Microsoft Office documents,
and OpenOffice couldn't handle pixel-perfect table layouts and fonts accurately)
3) Make all the restricted and proprietary components and features turn on by
default
4) Sell copies of Ubuntu in nice shrink-wrapped boxes in PC World
5) Create distributions where the "tinker" element can be turned off, i.e.
locked-down versions of the distribution, pre-configured to corporate
requirements and policies

Those are just five off the top of my head, and I doubt they will be popular.
But their popularity with the free software movement is the entire problem:
it's not that there aren't solutions to the problem, it's that the solutions
presented aren't deemed acceptable.

As always, it comes down to philosophical ideology rather than technical
implementation.

Pete