RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:57:49 +0000

The problem with Richard's argument is that it relies on the presupposition
that people don't want to be handcuffed. If, for whatever reason, people DO
want to be handcuffed (or more specifically, *don't mind* being handcuffed),
then the argument falls flat.

In the software world, it is much less black and white, as whereas the
handcuffs are a clear and obvious 'negative' to most people, the restrictions
of closed-source or proprietary software are less so. So it starts to become a
balance of cost-benefit rather than a clear "no".

To give a ridiculous but explanatory example, suppose I say...

Here is a stack of cotton and some buttons; go make yourself a shirt ...
alternatively, if you are prepared to wear these handcuffs for me, I'll give
you this luxury designer shirt that I made ... plus did I forget to mention
that wearing handcuffs is now very fashionable, and everyone else in the room
is already doing so?

It's a silly example obviously, but it exposes some of the complexity behind
why many people may choose to be restricted because of alternative perceived
benefits.

Pete