RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy

From: Pete Morris
Subject: RE: [Fsuk-manchester] freedoms analogy
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:33:49 +0000

This has tangented a long way from my original comments RE Richard Stallman and
his handcuffs. But it demonstrates the point rather well that Richard's
argument has little basis to it. The handcuffs analogy gives the implication
that it is patently obvious that everyone should prefer free software, and thus
anyone not using it is clearly either delusional or totally misinformed. As
we've seem from these posts, it's much more complicated than that, and there
are a variety of reasons why people may not want to use free software.

In some ways I agree with Simon that playing the numbers game in terms of
market share or installation bases is rather academic, but it is still
reflected in the somewhat evangelistic nature of the free software movement.
There was a discussion recently about holding a sort of information day to
introduce free-radicals to the wonders of using free software. There is a
notion that people need to be "informed" or "educated" about free software,
with an implication once they have heard they will flock to it. I don't think
this is a helpful belief.

In answer to yours and Mr Ray's question, the university in question is the
University of East Anglia, but it's common to most universities. It is not that
a university requires students to purchase Microsoft software, rather they
purchase a campus licence under a system like CHEST, and then students are
given a free copy of Windows/Office/whatever whilst they are doing the course.
In this sense, the university is not mandating that a student spend their own
money, but they are mandating that they only accept a certain file format. This
isn't because they are trying to strangle students or force proprietary
software upon them, but because it is easier to work to a standardised format.
If you are trying to mark essays, you don't want them being submitted in 40
different file formats from a plethora of minority wordprocessors; they same
with distributing course notes and material and the like. Rightly or wrongly,
the majority of the world use Microsoft Word for their wordprocessor, so it
makes sense to use the same when choosing your standard. As I said, OpenOffice
gave it a good shot, but as anyone knows who's used it, it sometimes struggles
with very precise table layouts and the like. You can't [easily] run Microsoft
Office on Ubuntu, and dual-boot was proving a faff, so off came Linux and on
went Windows. Of course there are other alternatives, but that is just an
example of someone who stopped using Ubuntu and why they stopped using it.

Did my partner stop using Ubuntu because he decided that being restricted
["wearing handcuffs"] was the way forward? No, quite the opposite, he found
that using free software was akin to wearing handcuffs, so ironically he was
more "free" when using the proprietary software. It all depends on your
definition of "free": not everyone wants to be 'free' to modify the source
code, some people want to be 'free' to use the software they are familiar with
and be 'free' to have it work the way they were expecting.

Pete