Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:34:24 +0100

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:14:05PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Yes, the previously-mentioned computing place where I worked with many
> women was a university.  The computing courses at that same uni were
> still severely imbalanced, though.  How is it at the ones above and
> does anyone know research into whether this is general and the reasons
> for this?  It seems too long-standing for the recent law changes to be
> the cause.

In my experience (and I've spent the last five years in academia, four
of which in CS as a member of staff, an undergraduate and a
postgraduate), it works something like this:

Undergraduate: About a 80/20 split, with the majority of women who are
on the course being international students (I can only remember about 5
women out of 150 students who were female and from the UK).

Postgraduate taught: About 70/30 split.

Postgraduate research: Getting closer to 60/40.

Staff: About 60/40, varies from research/teaching area - some, like
mine, are more gender balanced than others.

I don't know if the same statistics apply across the country, but on the
academic-related lists I'm on there are a fair number (more than you'd
expect) of women subscribed *and* contributing.

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com