Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Matt Lee
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:00:32 -0400

The reason such events exist, imo, is not to discriminate against men,
but rather to provide a place where things like this don't happen:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pix_plz.png

I attended an event about women in free software last year at Google.
One of the contributors to Drupal was saying how she felt uncomfortable
using her name on IRC, etc for fear of emails and replies like "Pix plz"

I hope that free software communities learn to deal with this issue and
fix it, and fast. It's embarassing that we have a gender divide in this,
and it isn't helped by men talking about 'discrimination' when there's
any event for men.