Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:14:05 +0100

Lucy <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29/07/2008, Paul Waring <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  Also, since people have brought up so many bad examples, I would like to
> >  at least point to one positive one - in my lab/office the gender balance
> >  is exactly 50:50,
>
> Yes, same here. I think we are quite lucky working in academia where
> it's not such an issue. [...]

Yes, the previously-mentioned computing place where I worked with many
women was a university.  The computing courses at that same uni were
still severely imbalanced, though.  How is it at the ones above and
does anyone know research into whether this is general and the reasons
for this?  It seems too long-standing for the recent law changes to be
the cause.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)