Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Paul Robinson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:12:24 +0100

On 27 Jul 2008, at 12:16, MJ Ray wrote:

The email is fine.  I never requested a ban. Please stop making
stuff up.  Manchester Girl Geek Dinner is clearly on-topic but evil,
bad and wrong.
http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/jargonfile/jargon_file-060.html

The issue of whether Girl Geek Dinners was a good/bad thing was discussed at considerable length on GeekUp when the first Manchester event was organised a few months ago.

The conclusion was that those protesting the loudest didn't like feeling excluded, yet had been unable to understand that feeling of exclusion was *exactly* what women in the "geek industries" had been feeling prior to the invention of GGD events which now happen all across the globe.

I was invited to attend the first event, did so, and I can clearly see the benefit of it to the community as a whole. As was discussed on the GeekUp list, most events in the tech sector are male-dominated both in audience and in terms of topic and the change of tempo that happened was refreshing.

At the 1st GGD there were women in attendance I'd never see at any other event in the North. I go to a *lot* of events in the North of England. Let me just try and quantify that a little. They had never been to:

* GeekUp Manchester
* GeekUp Leeds
* GeekUp Liverpool
* GeekUp Preston
* BarCamp Leeds
* BarCamp Manchester
* OpenCoffee Manchester
* OpenCoffee Leeds
* OpenCoffee Liverpool
* Co-working Manchester
* VBUG .NET User Group
* Wordpress User Group
* FSUK Manchester (most, incidentally, didn't even know such a group exists, which shows how female-friendly your marketing efforts have been so far)
* NWRUG
* BSDUG Manchester
* AgileNorth
* Drupal North West User Group
* NW Startup 2.0
* The majority of Manchester Digital events
* Many had never even heard of MDDA (!!!!!!)

Yet they there were. Why that event and not one of the other 18 events they could have gone to? Because the other 18 were perceived as being "boys" events, or had been marketed in such a way that they had no appeal to female attendees.

GGD allows for women in multiple industries to come together to share experience, network, and promote industries that are perceived as "male-only" to be more accessible to women.

It no more "evil, bad and wrong" than a get together around a single point of discussion whether that be free software, programming in a particular language or promotion of a particular industry. Would you call it "discrimination" if I had a talk prepared on Ruby which was rejected at a PHP conference? Or if people refused to listen to a talk on how wonderful EULAs were at an FSUK meeting?

NWDC members in attendance use it as a means to try and increase the diversity of their own events. "You liked this event? Well, given your industry, you might like to meet some other people at GeekUp/.NET UG/ whatever". As a result, those groups have seen a slight increase in female attendance which *has* to be a good thing for the community.

Learn more about it before criticising it next time, please.

If there are guys looking to go to the next one, I'll try and arrange some invites providing you're not going to show me up and talk down to women self-organising themselves into a community project that helps the sector as a whole.

--
Paul Robinson

http://vagueware.com :: address@hidden :: +44 (0) 7740 465746

Vagueware Limited is registered in England/Wales, number 05700421
Registered Office: 3 Tivoli Place, Ilkley, W. Yorkshire, LS29 8SU
Correspondence:   55 Velvet Court, Granby Row, Manchester, M1 7AB