Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Paul Robinson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:00:43 +0100

On 29 Jul 2008, at 14:39, Paul Waring wrote:

Whilst I wouldn't advocate building an entire assumption round one quote from a report, perhaps this lends a bit of weight to the suggestion that
women are not intentionally excluded from F/LOSS or IT in general.

Whether it's intentional or not is irrelevant in this context: it exists and needs addressing, which is where we came in. ;-)

I don't know if we do something particularly special

You're in academia. End of mystery. :-D

For what it's worth, a large group of GeekUp types are trying to get involved in outreach work with kids (teaching them to code), unskilled workers (ditto), graduates (teaching industry best practice) and so on, with our first area in need of help - whilst I wait for the council regeneration team to get back to me - being the voluntary/ community sector. If you want to help charities now, or increase diversity down the line, consider signing up here:

http://geekup.org/wiki/index.php?title=Geekup_School

The idea is we're going to initially run a surgery for charities and the voluntary sector to attend staffed with geeks who can answer questions on IT, strategy, online marketing, whatever. It would be good to see some FSUK peeps there.

--
Paul Robinson

http://vagueware.com :: address@hidden :: +44 (0) 7740 465746

Vagueware Limited is registered in England/Wales, number 05700421
Registered Office: 3 Tivoli Place, Ilkley, W. Yorkshire, LS29 8SU
Correspondence:   55 Velvet Court, Granby Row, Manchester, M1 7AB