Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Event: Manchester Girl Geek Dinner #2 - 7:00 PM Friday, July 25, 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:54:07 +0100

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:46:58PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> A *feeling* of exclusion is still a serious problem for the community to
> tackle.

I agree, it's an implicit exclusion rather than an explicit one (which
is a lesser evil in my opinion, though perhaps harder to see/tackle). I
don't think I've ever been to an event which has said "men only", even
if all the attendees happen to be men.

> Yeah, let's save the argument about how the geek community treats its
> surprisingly large transgender component for another thread :)

Without wanting to start anything on this, I actually feel that geeks
are far more tolerant of LGBT people (or whatever the current PC phrase
is) than other communities I've been in - or perhaps it's because there
seem to be more people like that in geek/sci-fi communities, so people
don't see it as "odd".

Paul

--
Paul Waring