Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:08:06 +0200

2008/5/6 Paul Waring <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 11:11:11AM +0100, Dave Crossland wrote:
>> It is morally bad for him to choose to run proprietary software
>
> No it's not - to say that is to enforce your moral principles on someone
> else.

This is exagerration. I'm merely stating my opinion about what is
right and wrong.

> I think it's morally acceptable to run proprietory software

I'm sorry to hear that, perhaps you can explain why?

> (I do this every time I play Civilization II for example), other people may
> disagree

Indeed, I disagree with you :-)

> but you can't *tell* someone else what is and isn't morally
> acceptable.

There are two issues there: "What is and isn't morally acceptable" and
"telling someone else what to do."

You haven't refuted why using proprietary software is wrong (indeed, I
don't believe you can without fallacy) and in the context of this
thread - where Tim has asked for people to tell him what to do - I
think stating my views in a "telling" way is appropriate.

--
Regards,
Dave