Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 23:50:17 +0100

Paul Waring wrote:
Dave Crossland wrote:
You haven't refuted why using proprietary software is wrong

I don't think you've put forward a convincing case for why using proprietory software is wrong, so I'm not sure why I would be under any obligation to refute it.

As someone *I know* was at Richard's Stallman's talk in Manchester, I'm not 100% certain it's Dave's job to suggest that proprietary is wrong; we are a free software group after all!

However, I do believe this discussion is necessary and valuable, so apologies if i come across a little terse. :)

Proprietary software (non-free software), is wrong because it attacks society's social solidarity.

Ok, so what do I mean by that relatively cryptic statement?

well Richard's talk was about this[1] and there are several essays online[2] which you have probably reed,

However, I would like to turn your statement about non-free software on it's head a little:

Why do you prefer free software over non-free software?

Cheers :)

Tim

[1] http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/2008/05/06/free-software-in-ethics-and-society-richard-stallman-manchester-1st-may/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html