Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:32:05 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
-1 I think fsuk-manchester should be kept to discussing activities
supporting free software in Manchester and the general discussion
which has sprung up here should be redirected to a more general list
like manlug or fsfe-uk or address@hidden or GNU's misc
discussion list.  Announcements should be sent clearly labelled as
ANNOUNCE to relevant lists, including fsuk-manchester, fsfe-uk, cola
and whatever else, and posted to/linked from the group's website.

(I've argued for up to 4 lists for some segmented communities, so I've
no real fear of number of lists, but fsuk-manchester seems too small
and too focused to be worth the disruption.  Yes, disruption: Mailman
(which hosts this list) does not support list migration well.)

I agree, whole heartedly. you seem to have encapsulated my opinion neatly in two paragraphs.

I actually believe general discussion on the list is better than no general discussion occurring on the list - perhaps some of the "higher level" stuff might get a better more educated audience elsewhere, but as long as they are friendly conversations, I'm happy for them to stay here. I think the discussions of this level are somewhat insightful to the rest of us.

So let's keep it friendly, and not swamp beginner questions with high level stuff or ignore them completely. if someone wants to learn about free software, then i think we should probably put our differences aside for a second, help them understand, and resolve their issues and then continue the discussion we were having, gently.

--
www.tdobson.net
----