Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:23:00 +0100

Dave Crossland wrote:
I think it's morally acceptable to run proprietory software

I'm sorry to hear that, perhaps you can explain why?

Because I don't think there is anything morally wrong with running proprietory software. I personally would always choose to use free, open source and proprietory software in descending order of preference, provided that they accomplish the same task in a similar way (which is entirely subjective). I don't think *using* proprietory software when there is a job to be done and no acceptable alternative (which is the case for some applications) is morally wrong. I do think that the practice of forcing users into some form of vendor lock-in is morally wrong on the part of the software developers, but I don't agree that a user running proprietory software is morally wrong.

You haven't refuted why using proprietary software is wrong (indeed, I
don't believe you can without fallacy) and in the context of this
thread - where Tim has asked for people to tell him what to do - I
think stating my views in a "telling" way is appropriate.

I don't think you've put forward a convincing case for why using proprietory software is wrong, so I'm not sure why I would be under any obligation to refute it.

Paul

--
Paul Waring
http://www.pwaring.com