Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list (was: the non-free neighbour as

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Discussion on list (was: the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:43:25 +0100

Simon Ward <address@hidden> wrote:
> The list is for discussion, and this discussion isn’t going in circles,
> or getting agressive, and I wouldn’t consider it off topic.

The topic is current set as "This is a local list for local people.
We'll have no trouble here!" so the discussion about a Manchester
person was fine.  Maybe the complaint was the only off-topic bit?

Seriously, the current list topic is stupid and should be fixed.

> How about moving to two lists?
>   * fsuk-manchester-announce - announcements; [...]
>   * fsuk-manchester-discuss - general discussion on free software and
>     related issues.  Essentially what fsuk-manchester is now.

-1 I think fsuk-manchester should be kept to discussing activities
supporting free software in Manchester and the general discussion
which has sprung up here should be redirected to a more general list
like manlug or fsfe-uk or address@hidden or GNU's misc
discussion list.  Announcements should be sent clearly labelled as
ANNOUNCE to relevant lists, including fsuk-manchester, fsfe-uk, cola
and whatever else, and posted to/linked from the group's website.

(I've argued for up to 4 lists for some segmented communities, so I've
no real fear of number of lists, but fsuk-manchester seems too small
and too focused to be worth the disruption.  Yes, disruption: Mailman
(which hosts this list) does not support list migration well.)

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)