Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] the non-free neighbour asking for help dilemma
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:22:01 +0200

2008/5/6 Lucy <address@hidden>:
> On 06/05/2008, Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:
>> 2008/5/6 Lucy <address@hidden>:
>>  > Once he discovers the technical advantages
>>  > then he might be more open to learning about the moral advantages.
>>
>> It seems clear to me from the 25 year history of the free software
>>  movement that these are discrete issues.
>
> I think you misunderstand, I'm not talking about the history of free
> software, I'm talking about the best way to get someone using and
> understanding the advantages of free software when they aren't open to
> the usual arguments. Sometimes the only way to get someone interested
> in the moral issues of software is to show them the technical
> advantages, so that they start using and liking free software first.

There are many people in the world, many on this list, who have used
and liked free software for many years, but are not convinced of the
moral advantages. This has been the case for about 20 years and it
gets worse year on year.

The only way to get someone interested in the moral issues of software
is to discuss them, patiently.

The technical advantages are a different, discrete issue, and there
are disadvantages too.

If they start using and liking free software and rejecting proprietary
software cannot happen unless they understand the moral issues:
installing gNewSense is a good first step, since the gNS community
takes care of not starting out with any proprietary software, but
unless they understand the moral issues, they will eventually be
invited to install some proprietary software, and not reject
proprietary software on their other computers.

--
Regards,
Dave