Re: [Fsfe-uk] Registration for AFFSAC and AFFS AGM is open now

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Registration for AFFSAC and AFFS AGM is open now
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 20:53:54 +0100

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 19:18, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> May I also urge all existing members, that we have important decisions to
> make at the AGM. It is absolutely important, that this AGM is quorable to
> make these decisions.

I echo Marc's sentiments here. When we founded AFFS, we wanted it to be
a democratic organisation, and that's the way we've "sold" it to people.
To an extent, our constitution doesn't allow this, which is something I
think we all want to see changed.

>   http://www.alexhudson.com/documents/constitution-amendment.html

Given I wrote this, I probably ought to say a bit more about it - I
meant to post this previously, sorry Marc.

Firstly, there is a fair amount of clean-up in the above: getting rid of
some "bootstrapping" if you like, removing honorary officers, stuff like
that. But the main part of it is basically a mechanism for running
elections.

For the most part, our constitution was based on an NCVO template, and
was basically a way of getting a legal organisation reasonably quickly.
And, we did analyse it in some depth (you just have to look at the
archives), and it is better than what we started with, but not "good
enough" I think.

So, I've proposed an amendment which doesn't really change the working
of the organisation (you basically have the same posts, but better
defined) and a method for calling elections as needed.

While the last part of the amendment seeks to re-open all elections, I
would really urge people to stand for the AGM. For a start, this
amendment is nothing like guaranteed to pass, so we need nomination to
run elections at the AGM ;) But, we definitely need more people involved
with AFFS, and dare I say some new blood. There is a lot of cool stuff
that we want to do, and there is a lot of cool stuff that people are
currently doing almost outside of AFFS (like Tom's open format project)
that could be better represented by someone on the committee.