Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:46:15 +0100 (BST)

Martin,

On 15 Apr 2002, Martin Coxall wrote:

> Unminutable only if you define minutes as would, say, a management
> consultant. What you have written there passes more comfortable for what
> I would consider useful minutes than that embarassing document I saw
> last night.

Learn some manners and common decency. Do you seriously think ANYONE will
be prepared to take notes next time there is a meeting if you continue to
berate the ones I did in such an aggressive and unpleasant way?

> OK, my tone may have been somewhat BEMLI, but when I see people behaving
> in an unnecessarily officious way, I automatically rail against it. I
> have seen this kind of foolishness too many times. In any case, I wasn't
> prepared to sit back and let such a seeming misrepresentation pass
> without comment, so I acted. And frankly, I think it worked.

No, not particularly. It's taken the best part of a day to beat out of you
exactly what it was you thought was missing from the notes, and in the
process you have managed to portray yourself as offensive and belligerent
rather than as an effective and useful individual with some good ideas,
which is what I assume you are.

Equally as important as the battle is the way you win it. If you plan to
move the Free Software movement forward using those tactics, then I fear
we may as well pack our bags and go home now.

> I think we should forget the first set of minutes and try again, have a
> new gathering whose intention it is to complete the process of working
> out the structure and function of the AFFS, and this time, we should
> make an effort to *get it right* instead of going off on some
> trivia-tangent.

If others think it's worthwhile then I'm happy to do so. Alternatively, we
could take some of the useful comments from the meeting notes (is the
list of potential people to talk to really useless? Are the comments on
fundraising really of no use? Do we genuinely NOT want to move to an
@affs.org.uk list address?), and the comments from this list, and use them
as a basis for another meeting, preferably in a good few weeks when we've
all calmed down.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Savory                                Email: address@hidden