Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Martin Keegan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:45:11 +0100 (BST)

On 15 Apr 2002, Martin Coxall wrote:

> > AFFS is pro-Free Software. That's the 'big' goal, the advancement of Free
> > Software.
>
> An utterly meaningless phrase.
>
> I also disagree with you. I don't think it's what the AFFS should be
> about. There are more important things than free software, as Richard
> Stallman says. And I agree with him.

This is another thing I could only get discussed at the "other" table:

to what extent were people like Martin Coxall (and to a lesser extent
me myself) at the wrong meeting?

There seemed to be three positions. I apologise if I misrepresent people
- this was just my interpretations:

Richard Smedley:
        Free Software is most important

Martin Coxall/Martin Keegan:
        the wider issues (IP law, etc) are most important

Phil Hands/Brian Gough:
        mentioning free software when fighting wider
        issues such as sw patents is counterproductive

The final two positions can probably be reconciled, but maybe not within
an organisation supposedly about free software.

Mk