Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: 15 Apr 2002 17:58:24 +0100

On Mon, 2002-04-15 at 17:10, Martin Coxall wrote:

> > > There are more important things than free software, as Richard
> > > Stallman says. And I agree with him.
> >
> > Of course there are; the current conflict in the Middle East is a
> > shining example.
>
> Making spurious statements like that isn't helpful. As I said, we are
> talking about fighting for freedom from corporate and government
> oppression. If we succeed, free software will flourish as a side effect.

Ah, OK --- you fianlly have decided to state what it is you are in
disagreement with the rest of us about.  I was wondering if you'd ever
get round to it.

If you think the AFFS is about some general fight for freedom, then
you're wrong.  It is specifically about having an organisation aimed
specifically at promoting Free Software, as was laid down at the initial
meeting, and the constitution.   If you feel that there should be a more
widely focused group, feel free to set one up, and I might even join it.

If you think that you can convert the AFFS into some sort of general
pro-Freedom campaigning organisation, then I think you are misguided,
and I'd appreciate it if you went off and wasted someone else's time.

The AFFS is not about promoting Freedom in general, in the hope of some
sort of trickle-down effect resulting in the advancement of Free
Software --- we're focused on Free Software.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/