Usenet filtering - offtopic for AFFS ? Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Usenet filtering - offtopic for AFFS ? Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 18:34:57 +0100

Martin Coxall wrote:

> > But I'm not sure we should address
> > issues of say newsgroup filtering by UK ISPs, which a "freedom"
> > term might cover.
>
> Well, that rather depends on in which context you mean. If, say, an ISP
> decides to unilaterally not carry alt.binaries newgroups, then this is
> an internal issue for them.
>
> If the EU tries to pass a directive requiring ISPs not to carry
> alt.binaries newsgroups, then we should get involved.

As far as I know the UK government already insists that UK ISP's
carry filtered feeds.

The main stuff filtered is child pornography, but I was under
the impression alt.drugs was filtered as well, at least at one
point.

Many moons ago I subscribed to alt.drugs after I heard it was
filtered, just to see what was going on, and it looked like it
was. But it is hard to tell who is filtering what, and why in
Usenet.

I think this stuff belongs more to groups like EFF, than the
AFFS.