Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: 15 Apr 2002 17:47:39 +0100

> As someone who believes in free software, I want there to be something
> like the AFFS. However, my understanding of the situation is that there
> exists a set of non-Free-Software issues which are more important than FS
> itself, and which are crucial to the very survival of FS in a meaningful
> form. I believe (and not everyone will agree with this) that it is wrong
> for an organisation which is substantially about free software to
> concentrate generally on other issues, no matter how related, without
> changing its name/constitution to reflect that, etc.

Does there exist a membership-based organisation whose remit is to do
that: i.e. fight for that set of freedom-related issues which are more
important than FS itself, but which are necessary for the survival of
FS?

If not, perhaps there should be two sister affiliate organisations with
different, yet overlapping requirements:

AFFS which concentrates more on the day-to-day promotion of free
software,

and an

AFFS-X which fight for that set of freedom-based issues which are more
important than FS itself, yet which are crucial to the survival of FS

Of course, not wanting to get into a people's front of Judaea-style
fracturing of pressure groups, there's no reason these two strands
couldn't both exist within one organisation, the AFFS (Association for
Freedom and Free Software). Handily enough, it shares the same initials
as the AFFS.

Martin