Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:43:59 GMT

Martin Keegan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes .. I can't work out what is "official" in AFFS context.

Official is any statement passed by exec resolution, or any statement of the
exec within the clearly defined roles.  Stuff that we can really be taken to
court over, if necessary... hope it never is.

> In particular, it seems that the constituency from which the current
> committee was elected has evolved.

It is impossible to hold elections without a membership.

>> AFFS will associate to FSFE.  FSFE the European equivalent of FSF.
> What does "associate to" mean? Any why no direct relationship with FSF?

Associates are organisations with a formal relationship with the FSFE, to
inform and support each other on their activities, etc, as required.  There
is no direct relationship with FSF because the FSFE is their representative
in this geographic area.

> [...] I really can bore for Britain on copyright now); [...]

You're really selling your forthcoming talk ;-)

>> What other orgs are you interested in?
> EFF, FIPR, and any European EFF-alike.

I think for those we're basically looking to CDR as the sympathetic body
concerned with such matters.  I will encourage AFFS members to also support
CDR as the UK body fighting for more general freedoms.  On some issues, AFFS
will probably need to work with CDR to achieve maximum effect.

FIPR I know little about, beyond them holding a fundraiser in Cambridge
recently and being plugged in NTK many times.