Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Martin Coxall
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: 15 Apr 2002 16:00:58 +0100

> Agreed, people must recognise this is far more than persuading
> government to use Free Software - most departments already have
> a Linux server somewhere or their web site on Apache etc.

When I and Nick had dinner with Richard Stallman a few weeks ago, Nick
was getting obsessed with whether companies/parties/schools were running
IIS or apache and how we must do all in our power etc...

RMS made it quite clear that he thought these concerns are trivial in
comparison to the multifarious government (and in particular) corporate
threats which face our very freedom.

We cannot allow ourselves the luxury of the sort of intellectual
masturbation that is whether or not Surrey County Council has enough
GNU/Linux servers.

The important issue is *freedom* fighting for it, and railing against
those who would take it away from us.

My favorite RMS quote of the night: "There are more important issues
than free software."

I agree with him. Do you?

Martin