Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Peter Clay
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:16:32 +0100 (BST)

On 15 Apr 2002, Martin Coxall wrote:

> Those "minutes", apart from being a factually inaccurate representation
> of the truth,

They are not an inaccurate representation of the discussion that I took
part in on that table. However, they don't cover the second part of the
meeting, and they reflect the fact that there was not much discussion of
what the aims of AFFS were.

So what specific things is AFFS intending to achieve? The creation of a
Free UNIX-like operating system (which AFAICT is the goal of the FSF)? The
wider use of GNU/Linux in education and charitable organisations? The
abolition of software patents? Are our priorities our users and free
software, or what?

Personally, I'd like to see a credible organisation lobbying government on
behalf of the users and developers of Free Software on freedom issues such
as patents, crypto (both mandatory and forbidden, ironically), and other
matters that arise.

I'd also like to see as much of the money that public services spend on
software licenses as possible redirected into Free Software development.

These are seperate issues. It's not clear to me at the moment which one
AFFS is more naturally inclined to support.

Pete
--
Undiscovered band of the minute: The Purplest Cryptologist
Today's Big Number: $5,921,467,512,500