Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute

From: Martyn Ranyard
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Just a Minute
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:18:41 +0100

At 05:14 PM 4/15/02 +0100, Martin Coxall wrote:

> Learn some manners and common decency. Do you seriously think ANYONE will
> be prepared to take notes next time there is a meeting if you continue to
> berate the ones I did in such an aggressive and unpleasant way?

Frankly, I would rather there were no minutes at all, rather than
inaccurate, airbrushed minutes with some undisclosed agenda which
neglect to mention any signs of dissent. Wouldn't you?

Not on your life - if members who weren't there had no minutes, then the organisation crumbles - Fail to inform people, and they will become disheartened/detatched. Minutes are a necessary evil, and if you feel that the person taking the minutes hasn't done justice, then you should start out saying how you saw it - which was not how this debate got started.

The suggestion that you shouldn't criticise someone for doing a bad job
lest it be a disincentive for them to do an equally bad job in the
future strikes me as a ludicrous one. Perhaps you'd care to elaborate on
the logic?

The logic may not be obvious, but it holds - such personal attack on the minute writer rather than on the minutes is not what gets results, it's what sends people running.