Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:38:42 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:02:21 -0600
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>>      Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>>
>> The hackery I found "successful" is presented at the end of this
>> message.  In brief, what solved the problem for me was remove -static
>> from CFLAGS.  You can ignore the swapping of $CACHE and CFLAGS; this
>> simply made it easier to comment out $CACHE while debugging.
>
> The -static flag was there for a reason, so you cannot just remove it,
> you will probably need to do something else in addition.
>
> AFAIR, the -static switch was used due to the libwinpthreads
> dependency, and is related to the no-deps package.  We should resolve
> this issue now, because using -static is IMO a time bomb, and it
> sounds like it just went off on us.

Yep, libwinpthreads was the problem.

It only affected the no-dependency version of Emacs which has other than
libXpm, no dependencies. Without -static it broke complaining about
libwinpthreads.

Nasty hack. Well worth checking whether it is still a problem (it comes
from msys2 and that's changed lots). And if it is, worth wondering
whether no-deps is still needed.

Phil