Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:45:49 +0200

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:02:21 -0600
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>       Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>
> The hackery I found "successful" is presented at the end of this
> message.  In brief, what solved the problem for me was remove -static
> from CFLAGS.  You can ignore the swapping of $CACHE and CFLAGS; this
> simply made it easier to comment out $CACHE while debugging.

The -static flag was there for a reason, so you cannot just remove it,
you will probably need to do something else in addition.

AFAIR, the -static switch was used due to the libwinpthreads
dependency, and is related to the no-deps package.  We should resolve
this issue now, because using -static is IMO a time bomb, and it
sounds like it just went off on us.