Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 08:26:20 -0600

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 1:46 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> > Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:02:21 -0600
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
> >       Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> >
> > The hackery I found "successful" is presented at the end of this
> > message.  In brief, what solved the problem for me was remove -static
> > from CFLAGS.  You can ignore the swapping of $CACHE and CFLAGS; this
> > simply made it easier to comment out $CACHE while debugging.
>
> The -static flag was there for a reason, so you cannot just remove it,
> you will probably need to do something else in addition.

I expected as much.

> AFAIR, the -static switch was used due to the libwinpthreads
> dependency, and is related to the no-deps package.  We should resolve
> this issue now, because using -static is IMO a time bomb, and it
> sounds like it just went off on us.

Makes sense.   How can I help?

One other thing I found is that -installer.exe requires libgmp-10.dll
but either ..
1. only when Emacs is build --with-native-compilation or else
2. only when -static isn't present
I have no idea which, so far.

Looking forward to reviewing/researching further after work today.

As Dieter said (in the other thread) -- I too would very much
appreciate any tips you can share WRT your preferred/personal approach
to crafting the windows binaries/zips.  Thanks so much for that offer.