Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:21:52 -0600

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 12:59 PM H. Dieter Wilhelm
<dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:

> First I checked your signature.
>
> At first I couldn't find your key on a keyserver, then I found a hint on
> your sourcehut site.  Didn't you made your key public?  And is it
> necessary to limit the key duration?

My key is on Savannah, as I assume you've discovered.  I think this is
the expected/required to upload to (either) FTP location.  AFAIK
having *some* duration is required but I haven't looked into that; I
simply accepted the defaults when creating it some time back.

> On an MSYS Machine I could start Emacs from your archive.  But there are
[snip, oops; my bad]

> Sadly on a "pristine" Windows machine I couldn't start Emacs from the
> unzipped archive!  Your build has the same problem than mine.
>
>   libgmp-10.dll
>
> and probably more, are missing in the tree.  It seems that either
> something is wrong with build-dep-zips.py. or not all .DLLs are copied

I believe we just need to add this to the make-deps-zips.py (see the
big lists at the top of that program); I'm not sure yet which of these
to edit.  In any case, I'm /fairly/ confident this is the only "gap".

> into the archive.  (Your installer I didn't check..)

Apologies; only the installer is likely to work because that one I
re-created (build-zips.sh -i) after adding manually adding
llibgmp-10.dll into the deps zip file.

I'll fix up make-deps-zips.py once I can confirm that the
("hand-corrected") installer actually works for someone.  I'm so glad
you have a clean windows environment to use for this testing, and
thanks so much for checking my work.  I wish I could return the favor;
my windows environment isn't anything like sanitary.

Can I ask you to give my install.exe a whirl and confirm that libgmp
was (as I believe) the only issue?  I'll rebuild the full set
(including correcting build-deps-zips.py) as soon as I have that
confirmation.

Yay for progress Deeter; can't wait to work more on this in my evening!