Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 14:04:29 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:07:40 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> 3. The installer default is "c:\Program Files\Emacs" I think it would be
> >>    cleaner when the installation tree includes the version number.
> >
> > Why?  The Emacs installation tree is designed to accommodate more than
> > a single Emacs version simultaneously.  Using versioned directories
> > would mean users need to tweak their PATH each time they install a new
> > version, which is undesirable and unnecessary.
>
> Stupid me, I meant Emacs' release numbers not "version" numbers!
>
> At the moment Emacs will be installed per default into
>
> c:\
>   |- Program Files\
>      |- Emacs
>
> If you intent to install another Emacs release and forget to change the
> installation directory "Emacs" then - without warning - the new release
> will be installed over the old one.

No, it won't be installed "over the old one", it will be installed
_in_addition_to_ the old one.  the old Emacs binary will still be
available, and all the support files will still be there.

Why did you say "over the old one", and what did you think would
happen when such an installation is done?  I think you might be having
an inaccurate mental model of what happens when a new Emacs version is
installed "over the old one".