Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 18:46:04 +0000

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> The console returns an error:
>>>
>>>    make: *** No rule to make target 'install-strip'. Stop
>>
>> The top-level Makefile.in has that target, so I wonder how did that
>> happen for you.
>
> OK, I need to cleanup the whole build tree..
>
>>> archive (for example libgmp-10.dll is missing).  I hope Corwin can bring
>>> some light into the build system.
>>
>> I hate to maybe take you back some steps, but why exactly do you need
>> those build-zips.sh etc. scripts?  If the problem is to produce a zip
>
> Because I thought that this is the OFFICIALL way of doing Windows
> builds, since this script is under admin/nt/dist-build!  But don't
> worry, I want to learn a robust and simple way of distributing
> Emacs. :-)

I used to produce multiple binaries: with deps, without multipled by
32bit/64bit. And, they had to be done by hand and in the right order
(once the deps version has been produced the install tree is no longer
clean), and also one at a time. As this process took many hours, scripts
were necessary, so I didn't have to stand over it.

Some of that has dropped away now, but in the mean time, I added the
NSIS installer to build-zips. That functionality exists nowhere else in
Emacs. Also the "build a snapshot with a dated name" functionality. So
that would have to go somewhere, if not in build-zips.sh.

> I see myself as a backup of Corwin: First I'd like to build a zip file
> with Emacs and its necessary dependencies.
>
> Later configured --with-native-compilation.
>
> And later building an installer out of it.
>
>> archive with the products of a build (and nothing else), then I can
>> propose a much simpler solution, which I use for all the ezwinports
>> binaries.  Interested?
>
> Yes please.  A step by step approach to building Emacs is probably more
> successful in the end.

I did it that way for a long time.

Phil