Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 22:32:46 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> 1. First, I build the package (in this case, Emacs) as usual:
>   $ ./configure --prefix=...
>   $ make
> 2. Then I install it in a special place:
>   $ make install --prefix=/some/directory
> 3. Then to produce a zip file with all the installed files, I go to
>    /some/directory and invoke 'zip':
>   $ zip -9r ./bin ./include ./lib ./libexec ./share ./var

Why is the folder ./var necessary?

(var/ wasn't installed on my system (28.0.91).)

> (be sure to mention all the top-level directories).  Now, the tricky
> part is between steps 2 and 3.  To make the zip file self-contained,
> you need to populate /some/directory tree with the dependencies.  If
> those are DLLs, simply copy all of them into /some/directory/bin/.  If
> there are other dependencies, they should go

It seems that only

   libgmp-10.dll

is a prerequisite to get Emacs (28.0.91) running on a Windows system
without MSYS and

   libXpm-noX4.dll

provides a nicer logo and icons.  (I didn't test much functionality
yet.)

In /nt/README.W32 is a list of further dependencies provided in MSYS2
packages:

    mingw-w64-x86_64-giflib
    mingw-w64-x86_64-gnutls
    mingw-w64-x86_64-libjpeg-turbo
    mingw-w64-x86_64-libpng
    mingw-w64-x86_64-librsvg
    mingw-w64-x86_64-libtiff
    mingw-w64-x86_64-libxml2
    mingw-w64-x86_64-xpm-nox
    mingw-w64-x86_64-lcms2

are above dependencies considered as the absolut minimal set for a state
of the art Emacs under Windows?

--
Thank you

      Dieter