Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 16:39:14 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st,  phillip.lord@russet.org.uk,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:57:44 +0100
>
> > archive with the products of a build (and nothing else), then I can
> > propose a much simpler solution, which I use for all the ezwinports
> > binaries.  Interested?
>
> Yes please.  A step by step approach to building Emacs is probably more
> successful in the end.

1. First, I build the package (in this case, Emacs) as usual:

  $ ./configure --prefix=...
  $ make

2. Then I install it in a special place:

  $ make install --prefix=/some/directory

3. Then to produce a zip file with all the installed files, I go to
   /some/directory and invoke 'zip':

  $ zip -9r ./bin ./include ./lib ./libexec ./share ./var

(be sure to mention all the top-level directories).

Now, the tricky part is between steps 2 and 3.  To make the zip file
self-contained, you need to populate /some/directory tree with the
dependencies.  If those are DLLs, simply copy all of them into
/some/directory/bin/.  If there are other dependencies, they should go
in their respective subdirectories (but I don't expect to see any
files outside of bin/ and perhaps lib/).

I think part of the complexity of dist-build scripts is that Phillip
included many more dependencies than strictly needed to run Emacs, so
he needed to put there many programs and files not directly related to
Emacs.  I'm not sure that's justified, but YMMV.