Re: (doc-view.el) Tabs or spaces convention?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: (doc-view.el) Tabs or spaces convention?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:41:25 -0500

> It seems that doc-view.el is (still) full of tabs (I only discovered
> when I wanted to make a commit, and git errored). I will just convert
> all tabs to spaces unless that would make me deviate from some
> 'hidden' convention. In that case, please inform me about it. I wasn't
> able to find any info about it.

Lots and lots of Emacs files are full of TABs.  We don't want to change
all of that just because some coders are hang up on such largely
irrelevant details: SPCs are not clearly superiors and (more
importantly) the change would introduce painful merge conflicts.

Feel free to use whichever mix of SPC and TABs you prefer in the lines
that you do change for other reasons, but please don't change only the
TAB/SPC part.

Instead of worrying about TABs-vs-SPCs I recommend throwing snowballs or
cooking lentils (tho I'm sure you can come up with better options),

        Stefan