Re: Motif support

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:53:46 -0500

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
>>> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 21:08:31 +0100
>>>
>>> You can use a cross-platform layer for that.
>>
>> That's a different suggestion.  This one does make sense, we "just"
>> need a volunteer to sit down and do it.
> But you already have one such layer om Emacs; Gtk, GDK is a cross platform
> rendering layer Gtk uses, but Emacs could use just Cairo which is also used by
> Emacs.
>
> If I am not wrong Gtk runs pretty much everywhere where GUI Emacs run, isn't
> it
> so? I am not sure how well it runs on Haiku, but otherwise.
>
> So just let a volunteer remove pure xlib/win32/motif/ and make Emacs a pure
> Gtk
> application and all good :).

Except, doesn't the GTK version have a bug that we have been unable to
fix with respect to remote frames when a network connection crashes?  I
could have misremembered the exact problem, but I remember that I ran
into it frequently and do not use the Gtk version anymore due to this.
This would be a deal breaker for me.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)