Re: Motif support

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 10:24:30 +0100

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Allright, didn't know you were not happy with Gtk as is. I had a feeling that
> Emacs was moving towards Gtk.

The recent addition of Wayland support by means of adapting our Gtk
usage is great news, but I see many people which is not very happy about
having to deal with Gtk, here and elsewhere.

> Than yes, Emacs would need some other abstraction layer. Is it realistic to
> use
> just Cairo, since it is already in use in Emacs? Also Cairo has support for
> using GPU. It is just that there are rumors that Cairo is deprecated or not
> developed any more, but I don't know how true it is, I don't really follow the
> web rumors.

I just briefly looked at Cairo repo and it shows a fair amount of
activity. OTOH, all the rage nowadays is Skia. It is C++, though.