Re: Motif support

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:43:44 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 00:44:06 +0100

>> > That's a different suggestion.  This one does make sense, we "just"
>> > need a volunteer to sit down and do it.
>> But you already have one such layer om Emacs; Gtk, GDK is a cross platform
>> rendering layer Gtk uses, but Emacs could use just Cairo which is also used
>> by
>> Emacs.
>
> GTK is not really cross-platform, and more importantly, is being
> developed in directions that make it harder and harder to use in
> Emacs.  So Emacs should not throw all the eggs into the GTK basket,
> quite the opposite: we should find a way of migrating away of GTK
> (assuming we can find a good replacement).

Allright, didn't know you were not happy with Gtk as is. I had a feeling that
Emacs was moving towards Gtk.

Than yes, Emacs would need some other abstraction layer. Is it realistic to use
just Cairo, since it is already in use in Emacs? Also Cairo has support for
using GPU. It is just that there are rumors that Cairo is deprecated or not
developed any more, but I don't know how true it is, I don't really follow the
web rumors.