Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 21:25:47 +0200

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: xenodasein@tutanota.de,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 20:14:39 +0100
>
> >> Games usually do all GUI drawing themselves.
> >
> > So you are saying that so should we??
> I'm not devil's advocate nor your enemy Eli. I don't say Emacs should do
> this or that because someone else is doing it, or just to say it.
>
> What I try to say is that it is possible to do gui on it's own.

It's possible, sure.  But why would we want to do that?  We have
enough work on our hands without that.

> Menus, toolbar and scrollbar are not very hard to do without external
> toolkit, and since this thread took up that Emacs talks to numerous toolkits,
> it
> may be pointed out that doing own thing might be a simplification of the code
> base.

If you read this thread since its beginning, you have read the message
where I explained that it won't simplify the code, because eventually
you'd need to call the GUI APIs that are different for different
platforms.

> > Did you look at, for example, the MS-Windows back-end of the Cairo
> > port to Windows?
>
> Not really. I am quite sure they need to talk to the OS at some point, but
> that is different to rely on OS to render menus and buttons, or just low level
> stuff to open a window or blit ssurfaces.

I suggest that you look at the code, because the reality is quite
different from what you think.  The calls to Win32 APIs are all over
the place there.

> I am not trying to be devil't advocate, or annoying, I just believe that code
> base would be easier to work and experiment with without so many different
> paths.

If you can suggest reasonable practical ways of doing that, by all
means go ahead.  I didn't yet hear any such proposal in this
discussion.