Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:47:41 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I don't say you should use neither this or that. Emacs could probaly use only
> Gtk to render it's gui on all platforms and remove other gui paths.

That would be a bad mistake.  For instance, we would lose the ability to
open frames in multiple displays without worrying about crashes.

GTK is also a pain to get working on MS-Windows and macOS.

> This thread was about Emacs talking to many different toolkits and someone
> suggesting that situation could be simplified.

We don't "talk to many (X) toolkits" in a significant fashion.  We talk
to X, and the toolkits are used to display trinkets.

> I try to come med input, but as I see, Motif is still important to
> someone. Is there Athena backend somewhere still viable :)?

That toolkit is called "Lucid".  (And it's not a backend, since the
important talking is done with X, not lwlib.)