Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:58:36 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> This is textbook case nightmare inside a nightmare, and NOT what I am
> proposing at all.

"Nightmare inside a nightmare" is what happens with _every_ attempt to
abstract between different window systems and toolkits.

Be it named lwlib, or wxWidgets, or GTK.

> "Yes, I can do the listed elements (without text; I could use FreeType
> but I'd rather keep build simple. And what is the caption bar? I normally
> use --without-x), it would look like an Emacs frame with window area being
> empty, elements interact-able.  Just rendering code with WinMain."

Now that you can expect everyone to use FreeType, why not also expect
them to have fontconfig installed on their systems?

> Addendum:
>
> For example packages like this:
> https://github.com/org-roam/org-roam-ui will start to pop up in lisp,
> instead of jAvAschRiPt.

Why is that so?

>   It will make way for "Office" level decorations.  Eat that,
> Microsoft!

We do not want "decorations" like MS-Office.  We want the ability to
edit documents like MS-Office, including the indentation of
variable-pitch text.  Feel free to work on that instead.