Re: Motif support

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:07:11 +0100

xenodasein@tutanota.de writes:

> Quoting: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02040.html
> From: Arthur Miller
> Subject: Re: Motif support
> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:09:55 +0100
>
> Hello, it'd make for a nicer mail experience if you reply to this:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-12/msg02203.html
> instead of here.
>
>> Isn't Emacs already linked to FreeType2 library?
>
> What I proposed was just a demonstration prototype, not something to
> appear verbatim in emacs, otherwise you are correct.
>
>> ... But, yes, the looks and feel wouldn't feel "native".
>
> It could be trivially themed to look native too.

Trivially and trivially :). I would be very careful to call it so, but Emacs has
relatively modest GUI demands. Some things are maybe not so difficult to emulate
but some other would be harder. For example menus and buttons are not so hard to
emulate for gtk toolkit, but tooltips would need quite some work to look same. I
don't know, some other toolkits might need more work. No idea, but I would not
aim for fully themeable renderer. In that case it is better to just use gtk and
to render with gtk everywhere, but than you get people who prefer Motif to Gtk
and in practice it will probably never happen.