Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 19:32:06 +0200

> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 17:39:14 +0100 (CET)
> From: xenodasein@tutanota.de
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> What this proves is that I am not fooling around, and it provides you
> a convenient way to assess my code.  If satisfactory I can receive
> the go and proceed integrating it on a test branch.

My preference would be for you to do this directly in Emacs code (on a
fork somewhere that's convenient for you).  The reason is that I have
gray hair from taking code that works stand-alone and then adapting it
to Emacs -- too many times it turns out that some key assumptions
about how Emacs works that are revealed to be false imply that some
design based on those assumptions is in fact unworkable without much
more serious surgery elsewhere in Emacs.

I've been in this kind of "reverse-eureka" situations a couple of
times myself, and saw others there.

So I grew suspicious to stand-alone demonstrations outside of the
Emacs codebase.