Re: Motif support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:17:49 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> The answer is same as the answer to this question:
> "How can the old game called Mario is able to have the same HUD on
> countless platforms?"
> If you study this the answer will become apparent.

Emacs is not a game based on displaying 8-bit graphics tiles, if that's
what you mean.  But I'm afraid I don't understand what you're trying to
allude to here.

> I believe we have different pictures in our heads regarding how much of
> the features of Office is desired inside Emacs, which cancels this
> this conversation and opens another big one, which I do not want right
> now.

The features I am referring to are the features listed in etc/TODO.
Here is a copy of that list for your convenience:

 . import / export MS Office documents
 . import / export Open Document Format (.odt) files
 . import / export RTF files
 . export to a PDF file
 . select a font and its size
 . apply a bold / italic / underline / strikethrough effect
 . superscripts / subscripts
 . apply a left / center / right / justified effect
 . change the font color and the background color
 . pixel-level text fill, justification, and indentation (so that
   variable-pitch fonts could be freely used)
 . create a list
 . insert and change a table
 . insert a picture
 . define / use / modify styles
 . print preview / print, in a way that is similar to what's on screen
   (e.g., wrt the place where lines wrap)
 . use footnotes
 . support for "track changes" markings, including those which come
   from Office documents
 . multiple columns
 . change page headers and footers
 . save all the properties and settings mentioned above with the text
   to a file, so that they are restored when later visiting that file