Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:29:54 +0200

> Alright, I just think of policies.
>
> Imagine if free software repository would publish only software that
> wraps around proprietary software, would that be free? So it is matter
> of policy.

Incidentally, if Melpa agrees to your request to remove all packages
wrapping around proprietary software, it will be a matter of days
before such a repository appears.

And yes, it would be free, in my opinion. Because users are free to
use Emacs in whichever way they want, including in workflows involving
non-free software.

> For same reaso Debian GNU/Linux cannot be said to be free, at many
> pages they guide users to include non-free software, unspoken from
> Archlinux or other distributions.

This is, again, a matter of opinion.