Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 17:38:54 -0400

   >    > You're entitled to your opinion, but this list is for discussing what
   >    > to do in the GNU Project.  In the GNU Project, this question is a
   >    > matter of stated policy.
   >
   >    No. This list is for discussion of emacs development. GNU policy is
   >    related but largely off topic.
   >
   > When it comes to clarifying misconceptioons, or trying to clearing up
   > policies that are relevant for the GNU project or a GNU project, then
   > it is certainly on-topic.  This list is after all part of the GNU
   > project, and as such it follows the policies of the GNU project.

   Be it as it may, the signal-to-noise ratio on this list is lately very
   low, which is a pity, and IME a clear sign that too many discussions
   are only very marginally on-topic, at best.

That is true, but there are better ways to steer discussions to more
Emacs related topics than to claim that GNU policies are off-topic for
a GNU project.  In this particular case, Richard was fully on-topic
and worth noting..

   Since these discussions never lead to any useful or even practical
   results, I wish people could stop trying convince one another on such
   "on-topic" subjects.

I am not sure what discussion you are refering to, the policies for
GNU are written down and are quite practical.  There is little to
discuss about them as well.