Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 23:40:53 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-10-16 23:30]:
> > For same reaso Debian GNU/Linux cannot be said to be free, at many
> > pages they guide users to include non-free software, unspoken from
> > Archlinux or other distributions.
>
> This is, again, a matter of opinion.

It may be "user repository" but it is still advertised through
Archlinux:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?K=proprietary&SB=

It is hypocritical to say that one repository link or directory is
official and other one is not official, of both of them are
distributed from the same official domain "archlinux.org"

See here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1924794#p1924794

> Arch does believe in free software -- we provide a free software operating
> system which doesn't depend on proprietary software to run. Any (well, most)
> Linux operating system could do that.
> We *also* believe people have the right to use proprietary software addons if
> they want to, and in some cases we make it exceedingly easy for them to opt
> in.

> All we care about is that we have written permission from the proprietary
> owners to do so, and we distribute these in /usr/share/licenses/ along with
> marking the package as possessing a "custom" license:
> https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c … ISSION.eml
> https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c … ibute.mbox

Now for Debian:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Adebian.org+enable+non-free&t=ffab&ia=web

Quote from some of links:

> "Make sure to enable contrib and non-free in the /etc/apt/sources.list line"

> "In some cases the installer detects the need for non-free firmware
> and prompts the user to make the firmware available to the installer
> to complete the installation. This can happen, for example, with
> wireless network cards which often require non-free firmware to
> function"

> "First you have to enable the non-free repository in APT's
> sources.list file: see Section 6.1, "Filling in the sources.list File"
> for details about this file. Many firmware are proprietary and are
> thus located in this repository."

Debian directly instructs users to enable non-free repositories.

So that opinion of mine is quite factual.