Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 19:13:13 +0300

> From: ams@gnu.org (Alfred M. Szmidt)
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 11:56:26 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>    On Sat 17 Oct 2020, Richard Stallman wrote:
>    > You're entitled to your opinion, but this list is for discussing what
>    > to do in the GNU Project.  In the GNU Project, this question is a
>    > matter of stated policy.
>
>    No. This list is for discussion of emacs development. GNU policy is
>    related but largely off topic.
>
> When it comes to clarifying misconceptioons, or trying to clearing up
> policies that are relevant for the GNU project or a GNU project, then
> it is certainly on-topic.  This list is after all part of the GNU
> project, and as such it follows the policies of the GNU project.

Be it as it may, the signal-to-noise ratio on this list is lately very
low, which is a pity, and IME a clear sign that too many discussions
are only very marginally on-topic, at best.

Since these discussions never lead to any useful or even practical
results, I wish people could stop trying convince one another on such
"on-topic" subjects.