Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 15:17:17 +0100

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 3:00 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Btw, the contract doesn't only say that you assign the copyright to
> the FSF, it also says that the FSF assigns the copyright back to you,
> so the original author can still distribute the code as much as he or
> she wants and on what terms that he or she wants, regardless and
> independently of what the FSF does with the code whose copyright was
> assigned.

Thank you for the clarification.  I didn't read it or don't remember it.
And I signed it because I thought I was advancing the FSF's goals.
But now I went and read it.  My assignment from 2012 thanks
me for my contribution,  emphatically.  But indeed it does not say
I support this or that cause.

I guess all I'm saying I wouldn't voluntarily "contribute" to the
Freedom-denying Software Foundation, is all.

João