Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 16:15:45 +0200

On 2020-05-09, at 14:22, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:49:54 +0200
>>
>> On 2020-05-09, at 11:48, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > Finally, above practical aspects, assigning copyright is declaring
>> > support for an idea larger than the FSF itself.  It's a political
>> > declaration.
>>
>> Could someone officially confirm or deny the above paragraph?
>
> I can.  And also you can (as can anyone who has ever signed those
> papers).  You have the contract in your hands, you received it after
> signing your copy.  There's nothing in copyright assignment except
> what's written in that contract.  Since you've signed it, I take it
> that you read it and agreed with what it says.  There's nothing there
> about any declaration.  Simply re-read the text you signed to realize
> that.

Well, this is so simple only in theory.  If anyone could just read and
be sure that he understand a legal document, there would be (almost) no
need for lawyers, no?  I did read it, and I specifically paid attention
to whether it contains things João talked about, and did not find them.
But that dos not mean that I was not mistaken.

Thanks,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl