Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Drop the Copyright Assignment requirement for Emacs
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 15:22:09 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:49:54 +0200
>
> On 2020-05-09, at 11:48, João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Finally, above practical aspects, assigning copyright is declaring
> > support for an idea larger than the FSF itself.  It's a political
> > declaration.
>
> Could someone officially confirm or deny the above paragraph?

I can.  And also you can (as can anyone who has ever signed those
papers).  You have the contract in your hands, you received it after
signing your copy.  There's nothing in copyright assignment except
what's written in that contract.  Since you've signed it, I take it
that you read it and agreed with what it says.  There's nothing there
about any declaration.  Simply re-read the text you signed to realize
that.

I'm guessing João was talking about the perception of the assignment
by some people.  Not about what it actually is or how it is
interpreted by the FSF.

> So, if someone treats my signature of the copyright assignment as
> a "political declaration" of support to FSF's or rms' views, I would
> like to make it absolutely clear that this is not the case.

They cannot treat it as such, since the document has no words to that
effect.